If you need a more accessible version of this website, click this button on the right. Switch to Accessible Site

WARNING

You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Close [x]

Lilies are Dangerous to Cats

girl_with_cat_and_flowers.jpg
Flowers Which are
Not True Lilies

1. Lily of the Valley is in the Convallaria group. Although it is not a true lily, and does not cause kidney problems, it is a poisonous plant due to its ability to cause heart problems with its digitalis-like toxin.
2. Peace lilies are also not true lilies, and do not cause kidney problems. They may cause mouth irritation and inflammation if chewed.
3. Calla lilies are not true lilies and may also cause mouth inflammation.

A significant source of toxicity for cats that is unknown to many people are lilies. These flowers are beautiful, available in a variety of colors, and common in cut flower arrangements. They are also easy to grow and are found in many gardens. But, they can be very dangerous for cats. The Animal Poison Control Center operated by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals reports that the number of feline lily toxicity cases has been increasing every year. Cats actually seem to be attracted to lilies and will sometimes seek them out and ignore other non-toxic plants.

All true lilies belonging to the Lilium and Hemerocallis (day lilies) species are toxic. This includes tiger lilies, Stargazers, and Easter lilies. All parts of the plant, including the stems, leaves, petals, and stamens are toxic. Even the pollen is toxic. Outdoor cats walking through the plants or rubbing up against the flowers may get pollen in their coats. Later they can ingest the pollen when they groom their fur. The toxic chemical in the plant has not been determined and dogs are not affected.

Lilies cause kidney damage in cats. Even what may seem like a small exposure such as biting a leaf can cause a cat to die from kidney failure. Usually cats vomit after exposure and develop acute kidney failure within 24 to 72 hours. This phase causes more vomiting, depression, dehydration, and a lack of appetite. There is a "golden window" of opportunity of 18 hours for treating lily toxicosis. That is, most cats treated within 18 hours survive if treated aggressively with hospitalization with intravenous fluids, oral activated charcoal to bind the toxin, and sometimes cathartics.

Therefore, even if the exposure is not certain, but is a possibility, it is best if the cat is examined by a veterinarian immediately. Changes in blood tests for the kidneys (BUN, creatinine, and phosphorus) can be seen as early as 12 hours after ingestion. If it is longer than 18 hours since the cat was exposed, treatment is still performed as there is yet a chance the kidney tubules can compensate.

What can you do to avoid lily toxicity in cats? Don't plant lilies in your garden if your cats go outdoors, or better yet, don't allow your cats to go outside. When you order flowers from a florist for yourself or a friend who has cats, tell them not to include lilies. If you buy a flower arrangement from a grocery or other store, inspect it carefully for any flower that looks like a lily. In spite of all this, if your cat is exposed to a lily, take the kitty to your veterinarian right away!

Exclusive Offer

Pets adopted from local shelters receive a free initial exam!

THIS ---->https://gaslightvet.com/index.php

Office Hours

DayOpenClosed
Monday8am6pm
Tuesday8am6pm
Wednesday8am12:30pm
Thursday8am6pm
Friday8am6pm
Saturday8am12:30pm
SundayClosedClosed
Day Open Closed
Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
8am 8am 8am 8am 8am 8am Closed
6pm 6pm 12:30pm 6pm 6pm 12:30pm Closed

Testimonial

We were referred by a friend, and we have been very happy with the service. The staff is wonderful and Dr Berge is very caring and thorough, and his prices are very reasonable
Jane 

Jeffersontown, KY

I've been going to Gaslight Square for over 10 years now. I have several other vet options closer to where I live but the staff here has always been so friendly and helpful. It's nice having a place to go that you know has the best interest for you and your pet. Dr. Tom is great and his support staff are always knowledgeable. Even when they are busy they make sure they take the time to answer all of my questions. As long as they are around they will be who I trust with my pets!.

RJ
Jeffersontown, KY

Newsletter Sign Up